Chief of Police Job Opening
Chief of Police –
Saint George, KS
The City of Saint George, Kansas is a rapidly growing
community located in SW Pottawatomie County on the Kansas River (7 miles east
of Manhattan within the Rock Creek School District) and is one of the fastest
growing areas in the State of Kansas (second fastest growing city in Kansas
with a population under 5000). Our Police Department believes in and
practices integrity, professionalism, and a community-based policing philosophy
that works with the community rather than against it. We are proactive,
but still sensitive to the needs of a smaller community environment. We
are looking to expand our ranks with a highly qualified, professional, ethical,
and community oriented Full-Time Chief of Police.
Our department consists of an appointed position for Chief of Police, and sworn in officers consisting of one full time and 3 part time officers.
· Salary 45k-60k based on experience
· 100% employer paid employee only BC/BS health insurance & dental insurance
· 100% employer paid BlueFire Med for employee & dependents
· $250/year vision reimbursement
· Retirement (KPERS)
· KPERS life insurance provided at no cost to employee at 1.5 times your yearly salary
· Additional life insurance may be purchased at low employee cost
· 40 hours of vacation 1styear (80 hours beginning 2ndyear)
· 96 hours of sick leave per year
· 12 paid holidays
· Take home patrol vehicle if residency is established within city limits.
· Tattoo and facial hair friendly
· Soft/Utility uniforms with outer carriers
· Paid Weekly
- Establishing residence in city limits highly encourage not required
- Supervision experience is highly desirable
- Proven leader, committed to the growth and development of the Department
- Be proactive with the department and community
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate openly and with clarity to mayor and council members, local organizations, media and city staff
- Be able to effectively carry out Department responsibilities
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Must have a valid Kansas driver's license with a good driving record;
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent;
- Must be in good physical condition;
- Must not have been convicted of a crime of domestic violence, serious traffic or any felony or its equivalent under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
- KLETC certified or eligible for reciprocity from another state
- Must have above average written and oral communication skills.
An extensive background investigation including previous employment history, references (both listed and unlisted), criminal history, and driving record will be conducted in addition to a psychological examination, physical examination, and drug screen.
Closing Date: October 5, or until filled.
Resume and Letter of Recommendation preferred.
220 First St, PO Box 33
Saint George, KS 66535
Phone: (785) 494-2558